ATV Steering Knuckle/Ball Joint Separator
|It allows you without damaging the A-arm, ball joint studs or rubber boots while separating the ball joints from the knuckle body.
|It consists of a tool body and both types of press bolts to fit Honda and Yamaha.
It works on the following ATV models :
Honda : TRX250R 86-89, TRX250X 87-88/91-92, TRX250 Recon 97-01, TRX300EX 93-01, TRX450R 04-07, TRX450ER 06-07.
Yamaha : YFZ350 87-01, YFM350X 87-01.
- Remove the cotter pin from the ball joint stud and loosen the locknut three or four turns, but do not remove it completely.
- Remove the cotter pin and locknut from the opposite ball joint stud.
- Choose the appropriate pressure bolt and put the tool between the ball joint studs, centering the bolt against the stud to be removed.
- Turn the locknut so there is a gap between it and the knuckle body in order to separate the ball joint. If the locknut is against the knuckle body, the ball joint cannot separate.
- Hold the tool body; tighten the pressure bolt against the ball joint stud.
- Strike the control arm sharply with a plastic mallet until the ball joint stud is separated from the knuckle body. You may have to make several attempts to separate the ball joint stud.
- Remove the tool and locknut, turn the tool over and repeat above steps for separating another ball joint stud.